Last night I was getting Gracie Claire ready for bed and I left her in her bathroom brushing her teeth when I hear, "Uh Oh Mommy, I pee pee in my panties!" GREAT! I was tired as it was and now I was going to have to clean up pee and give
GC a bath. As I walked into the bathroom, she was standing there, on top of her footstool, in a puddle of pee. Suffice it to say, she has done incredibly well with being potty trained. In the 3 months that she has been potty trained, this was only her 3rd accident. Sadly, my trip from the kitchen to her bathroom was long enough to make me mad that she had peed everywhere. (I know, I sound like a horrible mother!!) Anyway, I raised my voice and kept asking her why she didn't get on the potty and go and telling her she only
pee pees in the potty. She kept saying, "
OK Mommy.
OK Mommy." When I finally got everything cleaned up and
GC in her bed, I came to my senses and thought, "Well, you just screwed up with how you handled that. Better fix it." After we said our prayers, I told
GC that I was sorry that I had yelled and that I got upset." She said, "Mommy got
angy (angry.)" First of all, I don't know where she learned the word angry, and second of all I cringed at the fact that she felt anger from me. I apologized again and asked her to forgive me. She said OK and then said, "Mommy, you get
angy like King David." What?! I am constantly amazed by this girl. Now she is taking my emotional outburst and applying it to a Bible story?! All within a few minutes I felt anger, regret, sadness, love, gratefulness, and amazement. I love being a mom!
3 comments:
They will tell us how it is, won't they?!
What a great job you're doing with her :-))
I love that you shared this story - it's not easy to share our moments of weakness with the world! But rest assured you are not the first or last mommy to lose her patience after a long day!! And I truly love the fact that you made things right with her right away - what an awesome godly example you set for her. We ALL mess up but teaching her how to handle those mess-ups is truly priceless and something she will use her whole life. You are doing an awesome job with your girls!!!!
On another note - ask me sometime about my lovely experience with a similar incident and how it took me 30 minutes just to clean the crib . . . I did learn that baby shampoo gets dried poo-poo out of beloved stuffed animals' fur quite nicely. :-)
Post a Comment