Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Plans

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

I have so much updating to do with pictures and such...but, that will have to wait for another day. I didn't want to put this off. As most of you probably know, we've been waiting for answers about what God has in store for us. Paul was laid off in February and since then has been working HARD to find a job. Some of what seemed to be the most "perfect" jobs for him came and went and we couldn't figure out why. If you know my hubby, you know he's very employable. He's educated, smart, has lots of experience in his field, and he's good to look at too! Sometimes finding out "why" is not part of the God's plan. The person we go to so much for advice (my Dad) suggested that we start thinking outside of the box. What could we be doing differently? What if I started looking for a teaching job? My first reaction was sadness. What if I did that and God answered by giving ME a job. I'm a stay-at-home Mommy. In my head, that meant I'm not suppose to go back to work until all of my girls were in school. It's what I'd always wanted and planned for. We've quickly learned that our plans are not God's plans. After we prayed about it, I decided that it wouldn't hurt anything to fill out applications and contact people that I knew when I taught. After a couple of days I felt a peace that I don't understand about the possibility of going back to work. I made phone calls, wrote e-mails, and prayed a lot. Without going into lots of detail (this post could turn into a book) I had an interview for a 4th grade position one week and an interview for a 1st grade position the next. I was just thrilled to have interviews. Throughout all of this, I still felt a peace. Being at home with my girls has been the best job that I've ever had. But, if I can't do that, there is nothing I would rather do than teach. I love teaching. This week has become the week of answers. I feel incredibly blessed. God has said "no" and closed so many doors over the past several months. This week he opened two doors for me and I was so thankful to be able to choose which one to walk through. I only say this to emphasize just how amazing and faithful God is. He said "no" to us so many times and then gave me a choice of which "yes" I wanted to take. (I hope this makes sense...if not, I'll explain in person.) Not only did he say "yes" to a job for me, but he said "yes" to Paul going back to school. He was officially notified that he's been accepted into the grad program he'd applied for. We are anxious and really excited to see where all of this leads us.

Even though God has given me a peace about not being able to stay home with my girls, I've had my days when I've struggled with it. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'll probably cry the first day that I leave them to work for the first time since any of them have been born. It'll happen. I guarantee it. :) Even so, God has been faithful. He's allowing me to go back to do something that I love and he's reminded me how being a Mommy can affect my profession. A few weeks ago at church, they played this video. The story behind it is amazing, but there was one line that Pam Cope says that made the flood gates open. She says, "I now understand that being a Mother means that we make ourselves available to other children." That's how I'm going to go into this. I'm going to look at the kids in my classroom through new eyes. When I taught before, I wasn't a Mom. I'm not saying that you can't be a wonderful teacher if you're not a Mommy, but I know that I will be a different teacher this time around. I will be a better teacher because I'm a Mommy. (Meaning better than I was...not better than anyone else. Just so no one will misinterpret. :)) I want my girls to someday know that they helped me become better. And they have. I can't even explain with words the love that explodes from my heart for them. My cup runneth over.

6 comments:

Summer said...

amanda, i'll be praying for you guys. i know that was a very difficult decision but i am so glad that God has given you peace about it.

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

I am crying right now because I know exactly where your heart is right now. Please know that this is so tough but you can do it. I love what you said about being a Mom is about being available for your kids. This is an emotionally tough road, but I'm so glad that God has given your family this opportunity. You won't travel this road alone. My heart and mind are with you today.

Jennifer said...

I praise God for His answer, for the peace He has given you, and for the faithfulness He will continue to show during all of this. What a blessing for your beautiful girls to get to experience staying home with you AND with Paul! There is so much for them to learn from both of you.

You're probably right, that some days will be hard, but God will BLESS you for your outlook and perseverance through all of this. I truly believe that. Your faith is a testimony and an inspiration. I know these last few months have been difficult, to say the least. God knows that more than anyone, and He'll keep on taking care of you in His perfect way just as He has this Spring. You're amazing.

Love you. Please let me know if there's anything you need.

Stacey said...

Wow! What amazing things God is doing in your lives! I can only imagine how hard it will be for you to go to work. You are going to be a better teacher because of being a mommy. I feel that when I one day go back to teaching, I will be better because my kids have made me better. God bless you and Paul on this new an exciting journey!

Chesley said...

WOW...I had NO IDEA when I saw you this week that you are going to dive back in! I have often thought that when I go back I will be a different teacher as well.

I am very impressed with your stepping out in faith and going for it. I will be praying for you.

Great for Paul and grad school...that's super!

Leilanni said...

Oh, Amanda. Your faith and willing obedience will not go unnoticed - by your girls or by your Lord. I will be praying, praying for you all and am looking forward to seeing where God is taking you all. And your future students are going to be so blessed by you and your gift for teaching!!!