Saturday, March 28, 2009

Thankful

Paul has a job! At least until October. Even though it's temporary, we feel like it is part of God's plan for us. We both have a peace about it. This whole experience has been such a faith building exercise for us. Paul has interviewed at several different places, feeling good about a couple of them and knowing that some of them were definitely not our answer. He has networked like crazy and tried really hard to find something "permanent." The opportunity that he has accepted was offered to him several weeks ago. Then, I was not really excited about it. I just knew that this was hope that God was giving us. That He would give Paul a permanent job before he would have to commit to this one. Well, I was wrong. This job involves Paul being gone during the week. If you know me well at all, you know that I'm not the greatest at spending the night by myself, my love language is quality time, and I count on Paul for a lot. Well, guess what? I'm going to have to trust that God is going to take care of us even though we'll be apart during the week. Know that even at night, I won't be alone...God will be there wrapping His arms around us and keeping Paul safe. I'm going to have to be extra thankful for the time that we actually do get to spend together. I'm going to have to remember and be super thankful for all of the things that Paul does for me and the girls. He's not your typical Husband or Daddy. I know that I'm biased, but my husband is the best. He loves me even in my ugliest moments. And I have many ugly moments...sadly. He's my best friend. He does so much. He helps me with laundry, does dishes, makes dinner every now and then, vacuums, and does other random things that I ask him to do. He even does some of those things without being asked. I know...close your gaping mouths. It's true! Even better, he's the best Daddy. He loves our girls with everything. He plays with them, cuddles, kisses, and hugs them, and he shows them what a true Daddy looks like. Even better than that...he totally loves Jesus. His faith through this whole situation has never wavered. He's the best!

Back to the job stuff. A couple of weeks ago Paul was offered a permanent job. It wasn't what he wanted, it wouldn't pay our bills, it would require overtime and working on Saturdays. It would've stunk. At first, Paul thought he would go ahead and take it. It would be something that would get us through until something better came along. Of course we wanted counsel and the best we get is always from my Dad. Both of us were crying by the time we were done listening to what he had to say. Not a shocker for me, but Paul isn't a crier. Dad asked us if we had a peace that this was God's answer to Paul's job situation. No. He said many things that reminded us of how God had provided for us so far and that He would keep providing. He said that we needed to step out in faith and not in fear. Taking that job was stepping out in fear. Paul called the company the next day and declined. The job that he has accepted is not the one that we'd pictured God would give him. It's temporary and it takes him away from us for a few days at a time, but here are the positives. By the time he starts this job, he will have been home with us for a little under three months. More time than he has ever had off with us before. He gets to come home every weekend. His first assignment is in Shreveport, so it's close enough to drive if we want to attempt it. He will make more money by the end of this job than he did last year. He has two assignments...one in Shreveport and one in Indianapolis. Between the two, he gets a month off. This job will give him experience "managing management." That's something that he doesn't have on his resume'. This job could be what leads him to a permanent job. There are so many good things about it. It's provision.

We still don't know what will happen when his assignment ends, but we know that God will provide. That's enough. And, we're thankful.



I love this song. It's so comforting. I love Sister Act 2 too. But, that's another post. Thank you to everyone who has prayed for us. Please keep praying. This will be tough, but we know we can get through as long as we keep holding on to the One who watches over us.

2 comments:

Leilanni said...

What a testimony y'all will have (and already do have) about following in obedience and trusting in the Lord! And what a great living lesson for your girls - not just telling them to trust Jesus but to be able to act that out for them will be priceless I think.

But I know it will also be hard - I'll be thinking about you and saying lots of prayers!!!

Courtney said...

God is faithful. So good to hear how He's working in your lives!