Since I began teaching almost 13 years ago {say what?!} I've always taught 1st grade. I love 1st grade. Even when I came back to the classroom after taking 4 years off to stay home with the girls, I taught 1st grade.
Well friends, as of this coming school year I will be a 2nd grade Language Arts and Social Studies teacher. I will admit {and this comes as no surprise to my principal, asst. principal, and those who I'm closest to at school} that I was a little bit stunned and then sad that I was going to 2nd grade. When she called me in to tell me that she wanted me to teach 2nd grade, she was so gracious and gentle about it, knowing what my initial thoughts/feeling would be. I didn't feel punished, but I still felt sad. I won't lie. There were some cry fests that would be hilarious to see on video. I'm so thankful we can look back and laugh at it now.
I think the thing I'm going to hate about leaving 1st grade is being on the same team with my bestie B. We taught together when we first started teaching and God totally brought us back together a couple of years ago. Don't feel too sad for us. I'm literally still a 2.5 second walk around the corner from her. Our shenanigans won't stop. We will continue to be A & B. So, if you think teaching two different grade levels would split this duo up...welp, think again yo. Just as there will always be Bert & Ernie, Kim & Khloe, Fountas & Pinnell, and Justin & Jimmy, there will be A & B.
I've grown really excited about teaching 2nd grade. There are so many really GOOD things about it. I KNOW I will love the age group. These kiddies will be so much fun to teach and work with. I love them already! I know them! So excited about this!
I am only going to teach Reading, Writing, and Social Studies. HOLLAH! Can I get an AMEN to not teaching any math beyond 1st grade?! I will leave that to my awesome teaching partner! ;-) Gladly. Reading is my favorite thing to teach and I'm so excited to be able to really focus on it, along with Writing and Social Studies. {Which I also love.}
It will be a fun experience to start with a whole new team. Figuring each other out, learning each other's strengths, getting to know each other better than we do. I love getting to know people, and even though I know most of these ladies, I'm excited to get to know them better.
I know that God has a plan. Teaching 2nd grade this next school year was in His plan for me. It was a hard transition in my mind and in my heart for lots of reasons, but knowing that it is what HE wants for me makes it right. I love being a teacher. It is my calling and I'm so thankful it is a gift that God gave me. I'm so thankful that I get to be used to be an influence in the lives of kids. It's the most important job after being a wife and Mommy. I take it seriously and know it's where God wants me to be.
"I now understand that being a Mother means that we make ourselves available to other children."
-Pam Cope
"Your place of influence does not have to stop with the children who live in your home."
-Lauren Pinkston
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11


No comments:
Post a Comment