Saturday, October 08, 2011

God Is Greater Than Our Circumstances

Last weekend, our minister continued a series that he is doing called "Greater Than."  This particular sermon was called "God Is Greater Than Our Circumstances."  It was something I needed to hear.  Some of you know how I've struggled with being at work instead of being at home with my girls.  Well, isn't it amazing how God gives you what you need to hear right when you need to hear it?!  Click HERE if you'd like to hear it.  I highly recommend it for anyone who is struggling with why God is allowing the circumstances that make up our lives to happen. 

Some of the things I wrote down...
(My thoughts are in blue.)

***We want a story with no difficult chapters.***
Who doesn't?  We're imperfect humans who don't want to go through anything that hurts, frustrates, or gives us anxiety.  But really, we all know that God allows us to go through difficult circumstances.  He is not the cause of them, but he allows them. 

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”  John 16:33

***We see that unexpected twists take the story where it needs to go.***
-See closed doors as divine detours.-
Oh man.  Have we ever seen this in our lives.  We have had so many unexpected twists in the last couple of years.  But they've always taken our story where it needs to go.  It's like God is saying to me every time something unexpected or unplanned happens, "Trust me.  I know it's not what you had planned, but I know what will happen.  I have plans for you.  Just trust me."
-God's edits are not for the purpose of making me happy.  The hard chapters are for the purpose of character development.-
This is hard to hear.  Does God want us to be happy?  I think he does, but His purpose for our lives is not for us to be happy.  It's for us to lean on Him and trust in Him even when things are hard.  Blaming God for the hard things in our lives is pointless.  He wants our trust and He deserves it.  Has my character been developed over the last couple of years?  Fo sho.  I know my faith has grown so much.  Not because of me, but because of Him. 

"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation."  Romans 5:3-4

***We ask God to give us the circumstances we want, but he's more interested in making us the people He wants.  We need to give God editorial control.***
Am I who He wants me to be?  I want to be.  I know I'm not even near perfect, but I really want to be His.  I want to be the child, wife, mommy, teacher, friend that He wants me to be.  That is going to involve me giving up control and trusting in Him with everything.  Will I like every single thing I go through?  Will I be happy all the time?  Nope.  But He is in control and that is what I need to hold on to.

***Stop trying to fit Jesus into my plans, because this story is not all about me.***
Whoa.  It's not all about me?  Sometimes I need someone to knock me over the head with that once in a while.  This life isn't about me, what I do, who I'm with, or where I'm going.  It's about Jesus.  Seriously need to plaster that on my wall.

"We have troubles all around us, but we are not defeated. We do not know what to do, but we do not give up the hope of living. We are persecuted, but God does not leave us. We are hurt sometimes, but we are not destroyed. We carry the death of Jesus in our own bodies so that the life of Jesus can also be seen in our bodies."  2 Corinthians 4:8-10

***Trust the author of my story.***
Boy howdy do I need to do this.  My faith is ever growing and always will be.  I am not in control.  He is.  It's fairly simple, but hard to remember.  But, man am I glad that He is in control.  How messed up would my life be if I was in control.  Pretty stinkin' messed up, yo.

Our minister ended this message by talking about Father Mychal Judge.  He was a Chaplain of the NYFD and the only priest to go into the twin towers to help.  There is a famous picture of his body being carried from Ground Zero after he died there.  He prayed a prayer that is so, so good and one that we should all pray daily...

"Lord, take me where you want me to go;  Let me meet who you want me to meet;  Tell me what you want me to say, and keep me out of your way."

Ummm...that's a hard prayer to pray.  Especially the part about keeping me out of the way.  Our faith needs to be completely in the Lord.  I need to be willing to walk the road He wants me to walk instead of trying to turn around or run the other way.  I need to stay out of the way.

God is so much greater than our circumstances.  He loves us.  So much.

No comments: