Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas

I've been thinking so much about the "first" Christmas.  It wasn't glamorous.  There were no decorations or wrapped presents beneath a tree.  Our Saviour came into the world in a dirty, cold barn, full of animals.  We can't possibly understand what it was like to give birth in such disgusting conditions.  My girls were all born in the most sterile environment as possible.  So were your children.  Our imperfect children were born in better conditions than our perfect King.  I think alot about Mary too.  Can you imagine being told by an angel that you would become pregnant and give birth to the Messiah?  I couldn't imagine the fear it would bring at age 33.  Mary was barely a teenager, if that.  I wonder what it would feel like to have that much faith.  Joseph...what do I say about him?  He loved Mary.  He loved the Lord.  What man, in this day and age, would stand by his pregnant, virgin wife and treat her child as his own.  Not many.  A girl, a man who loved her, but wasn't the father of her child, and a baby King who came into the world without any type of royal welcome.  That was the first Christmas.

As we open gifts in the morning and spend precious time with our families, I pray that Jesus is given the royal treatment.  Christmas is a celebration of Jesus' birth.  I love Christmas.  It's my favorite time of year.  But, as we remember our Lord's birth, we have to remember his death too.  Without that, his birth wouldn't have meant much.  Our Saviour was born in a filthy barn so He could die a criminal's death for us.  I am so far from deserving of that.  So, happy birthday Jesus.  Thank you for living and dying for me. 

I love this song.  Its' written from Mary's point of view.  I know how it felt when I had my 3 precious gifts.  The feelings of joy.  Can you imagine how Mary felt bringing the Saviour into the world?!  I just can't even fathom it.

   
I love these words...
Be born in me, be born in me
Trembling heart, somehow I believe that You chose me
I'll hold you in the beginning.  You will hold me in the end
Every moment in the middle, make my heart your Bethlehem
Be born in me.

All this time we've waited for the promise
All this time You've waited for my arms
Did you wrap yourself inside the unexpected
So we might know that Love would go that far?

I pray that you have a blessed Christmas.  Remember the One who wrapped himself inside the unexpected so that we might know that Love would go that far!  He loves you and me more than we could ever imagine.  Celebrate Him.  Merry Christmas! <3

No comments: