Friday, January 18, 2008

A New Goal

All of a sudden I've gotten a hungry appetite for reading. I've never been a big reader unless I found a book that just held my attention, but lately I've just really wanted to read. Since I just finished "Redeeming Love" (see my post below) and just started my new Tuesday morning Bible study, I didn't want to start something (like "Redeeming Love") that would divert my attention from my study. So, I've decided to read, "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. Something that can be used in addition to my study. I've actually already read it almost all of the way through, but decided to start again and really focus on each daily reading. Everyday I will be blogging about what I've read to help keep myself accountable. Just short blogs with the Points to Ponder, Verses to Remember, and Questions to Consider and anything else that really stuck out to me. So, here is day one's blog for "The Purpose Driven Life."

Day One: It All Starts With God
"For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible...everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him." Colossians 1:16 (Msg)

Stuff That Stuck Out:
  • "You didn't create yourself, so there is no way you can tell yourself what you were created for."
  • "Focusing on ourselves will never reveal our life's purpose."
  • "You were made by God and for God."
Point To Ponder: It's not about me.

Verse To Remember: "Everything got started in Him and finds its purpose in Him." Colossians 1:16b (Msg)

Question To Consider: In spite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?

Sorry if this gets boring for anyone who reads. I'm mainly doing this to keep myself accountable, but if anybody has any insights that they'd like to share, I'd love to hear them!

All taken from: "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren

4 comments:

angela said...

I think this is pretty cool! I'll just read your summary everyday to gain some insight that I can add to my Bible study as well.:) I like today's subject regarding how we did not create ourselves, so how can we tell ourselves what we were created for.

Jennifer said...

I'm pretty excited that you're doing this, actually. Even with all the hype, I've never read the book! So I'll read your blog instead! :)

Anonymous said...

I read it when it first came out, great refresher, I look forwartd to revisiting that through you :-)

Kristen said...

I'm with Jennifer!